Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Monday 31 January 2011

Fabric Remnants Score

I would quite like a job, or some money, so that I can start buying fabric off the role, rather than foraging through the remnant bin. I see fancy sewing ladies at the fabric store, who I bet know what interfacing does, who are looking for pieces for specific projects.  It's hard for me to plan a project in advance, instead I search for cheap pieces of nice fabric and then see what I can do with them.  Without being able to plan ahead I never get the right linings, fastenings, or whathaveyous.  Which means I often end up with skirts that are essentially rectangles with zips.

But you can find nice pieces of fabric in remnant bins, in big enough pieces to make things, but small enough that they are cheap enough to buy.  And so to today, as I was in town to sign on at the job centre I thought I'd stroll across the road and spend the money I don't have at the Fab Works fabric store (awesome shop).  I foraged through remnant bin (which is mainly upolstery stuff) and found some nice stuff.  Some randomly sized pieces such as 1.4meters by 40cm, but I added it up roughly and it came to about 7m (if you glued all the scraps back into meter squares), and cost £7!. 


I'm plannng to make cropped trousers from the green striped on the left (it looks more green in real life), the other stuff will become three skirts (I'm gonna pair the purple and silver together as they're too short on their own and I think having a two toned skirt will be nice), and black bit is actually two pieces of black lace (one 40cms, one 1m) that I might make into a bra or the top of a bodice top I have a pattern for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment