Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Thursday 23 June 2011

Hot Pink Dress

I made a new dress this week, after I went shopping with my dad and his cash! for a father's day get together. I got 5 pieces of remnant fabric and a cool bundle of vintage green velvet trim for £3 (I estimated it had about 9 metres on to start with), and each piece of fabric was £1.  The pink piece I used for this week's dress had a label on which said £15 a metre and I got two metres for £1- score!

It's a hot pink colour, I think synthetic, shiny, upholstery best describes it, but makes it sound hideous.  I turned it over and used the matt side as the right side for my dress.  I then used the green trim around the waist and top of the dress to break up all the pink.  I still think there's too much pink in the dress, it's quite a strong over powering shade but I like it.  I used McCalls pattern M6331 variation B which I used before to make a dress from a second hand duvet cover.  It worked really well last time (surprisingly well) and was so complimented I was compelled to make it again.  I don't think this turned out as well as the first attempt- I think the colour is too strong and the pattern on the fabric I used last time worked really well with the design. 

Well what d'ya think?








No comments:

Post a Comment