Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Tuesday 28 February 2012

Stripey T-shirt Magic



I picked up some cheap jersey for £1 a piece at the market a while back with the idea of making some t-shirts, two of the pieces are stripey, but I also have some denim style jersey so I could attempt legging/trouser things.  But lets start simple with a home made t-shirt.  I drew around a t-shirt by sister bought me for christmas that has a really nice fit to make my pattern.


With stripey fabric it was really important to make sure the stripes matched up between the front and back.  I cut the front pattern piece out of the fold, so after folding the fabric over and I made sure the stripes matched up and  pinned it in place before pinning the pattern piece on top.  Then I cut out the front piece.  For the back I did the same- folded the fabric over, matched the stripes, then pinned to keep in place  But I also checked on which colour stripe the armsicle (armhole, technical term would you believe?) landed and made sure the back pattern piece did likewise. 


 I decided to do the stripes vertical for the sleeves, to add a quirky touch and it meant I didn't need to line up the sleeves to the top.  (As you will see the direction of the stripes on the sleeves depends on whether your arms are down by your sides of outstretched, so I didn't really need to worry about the stripe direction too much).



The next step was to sew the front piece to the back piece- wrong sides together natch- carefully lining up the stripes again.  The fabric is jersey which has some stretch to it so I used a zig zag stitch which will stretch as the fabric does.  Sewing the sides is fairly simple but sleeves can be tricky.  Luckily for once I had faithfully traced the original t-shirt sleeves so my sleeve pieces were the correct size to fit to my sleeve holes.  To attach the sleeves I turned them the right way round (with the top turned the wrong way round) and put then inside the top, lining up the edge of the sleeve with the edge of the armsicle and sewing around the edge.






I think it came out pretty good, I left the edges around the neck and bottom raw because I thought trying to sew it up would likely lead to disaster.  I think it has a nice casual feel and a good fit.  




No comments:

Post a Comment