Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Sunday, 8 May 2011

Moving Towards Adjustments

I've been concentrating on making new stuff from scratch, occasionally using old clothes for the fabric to make new stuff but I've avoided customising or altering my existing clothes.  I find it hard to imagine what a boring jumper could turn into or how to alter the fit of something that looks terrible.  But looking at the 'Embellish Your Knits' section on Grosgrain and the Refashion section on Made By Lex* has given me a few ideas.

I had intended to turn a flowery and ill-fitting summer dress into a playsuit (I know, just has so much potential for disaster but I was enthused) but it turned out I had already got rid of the dress I was thinking off.  I found another one that I had bought years ago when my mother insisted I buy a size too big because she always refused to believe I was a size 10.  It was too tight to turn into a playsuit though so I decided to try to save the dressiness of it (even though it's not really the type of stuff I wear now unfortunately) by taking it in. 

The dress was quite big in the bust (when I am small :( and the dress is shirred but had absolutely no need to be whilst I was wearing it!) and in the back where it lacked darts.  So I focus the seam take in at the bust and added two darts in the back.  I tried to make it symmetrical but I just eye balled it as it didn't need to be perfect.  A very simple adjustment that I think made quite a difference.

I think these Before and After shots show the effect really well- I could tell people I've lost a stone in a day- unfortunately all from my chest!


No comments:

Post a Comment