Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Wednesday 21 March 2012

Bunting!!!


Well I got some pinking shears for Christmas from mother to cut a nice crinkling edge, and I'm finally getting round to using them.. As far as I know the only thing you need them for is bunting which, coincidentally, I love so Bunting it had to be.

Very simple to make it requires pinking shears*, fabric, a triangular template**, ribbon or string, and a sewing machine***.  I held the triangular template onto the fabric and used the pinking shears to cut them out, they may not be perfect but that's part of the home made charm.  For a more polish look you would draw around the template onto the fabric before cutting.  I used four different fabrics and cut four bunts of each one- although I used a random pattern so I didn't use all my pieces.

Then arrange the bunts in the order you want, and pin them on the ribbon/string.  I used a nice red ribbon I picked up for £1, and I pinned the triangles to the back of it, then I sewed them.  And that was that.



Festive :)

*They're expensive as scissors go, I think mine came in at £10 but that's a cheapish pair.  You could just cut straight using regular scissors but that would be sad.
**A triangle cut out of cardboard, my advice is to start with a rectangle, fold in half then cut off the corners to make it even.
***Hand sewing is for suckers...suckers with lots of time on their hands...

No comments:

Post a Comment