Pages

Bienvenue


Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Wednesday 7 March 2012

Customised Blue Top

I bought this blue top for £2 at a vintage fair a few weeks ago, the pretty pattern on the fabric caught my eye, and the crinkliness of the fabric gave it some unusual texture.  Unfortunately the blouse also had a tie around the neck, a tie around the waist, a ruffled collar (that stood upwards), and wide 3/4 length sleeves elasticated at the end with little bows.  Way too much going on.


I wasn't exactly sure what to do with it but I decided to give it a go and see what I could make.  I took off the tie around the waist and the belt loops as I knew I hated that.  I also lost the tie around the neck which looked ridiculous open or done up, and I hate things around my neck anyway.
Before
After




 I didn't want to lose the collar completely, like the sleeves it looked funny without.  I wanted to keep some of the ruffles but I didn't like the way the collar stood up.  I removed it and re-sewed it so it lay flat, using the tie from the waist as bias binding around the neckline.


The sleeves were a problem, I took away the bows and the elastic at the end but they were quite wide and a very odd length (not a fan of 3/4 length).  I wanted to keep the sleeves long though, as I liked the effect of seeing my arms through the sheer fabric, and the sleeves looked odd shortened on a blouse/shirt.  So I kept them long but took them in to make them narrower.



I sewed the little bows from the sleeves onto the bottom of the blouse, at the seam line, for cuteness. :)
Before
 
After



N.B yes I am aware that it doesn't look that much different in the before and after shots but actually it is a lot more wearable now so I'm quite please :)

No comments:

Post a Comment