Occasionally it seems that world is in pure chaos with nothing making sense, but that doesn't matter as long as I can sew. Sewing is a form of art, or at the very least creativity, and a form of expression. A great outlet for the tension of everyday life. Also you can make cute things. The craft revolution is truly taking place, old skills are being revived by a new generation, but with a seriously modern twist.

I've made Mario pillow cases, a giraffe print background, and turned duvet covers into summer dresses. I enjoy making something unique, special, and me- then I like wearing it and watching it fall to pieces or not fit properly. Then I enjoy (slightly less) fixing it.

One day I shall have a room filled with glorious fabrics and boxes of notions, and on that day I will have found my nirvana. But until then this blog will exist as my virtual haberdashery and sewing room. Hopefully you'll enjoy looking at my creations as much as I enjoy looking at other blogs, and you'll be inspire to make something of your own.

Monday, 22 July 2013

Bin Cosy/Cover

My bin did not look pretty.  It was of great concern and distraction to me, it was ruining a nice little corner of my room.  So I decided to pretty it up by making a little cosy or cover for it.  It took about 30mins and was very easy, particularly as I cheated slightly and glued a bit.
Here's the before and after:

So all I did was take some left over fabric (about half a metre but I didn't need that much).  I drew around the bottom of the bin, then drew another circle about an inch around the first one.  My fabric was quite wide bu not long enough so I cut it half and then sewed the two pieces together to make a longer thinner rectangle.  I then folded the top over a good inch and sewed it, leaving the ends open to feed elastic through.  Then I used the tried and tested 'wrap-the-fabric-around' method to make the body of the cover.  The bin is bigger at the top than the bottom but I didn't worry about that initially I just made sure it fit around the widest part and then sewed it.  The I put in on the bin several times in order to get the fit right and had to take it in, particularly at the bottom.  I then glued the bottom circle on and trimmed around the edges.  The I fed some elastic through the cosy and pulled it tight, then sewed the elastic ends together.  And that was pretty much that. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment